Mom's Memoirs

1/1/2010 5:59:50 AM
The story of a lifetime:

Page 14:

Q: When and where were your mother’s mother and father born? What was her mother’s maiden name?
A: Thea Anonby

Q: Describe the kind of people they were
A: I don’t know what kind of people they were.

Page 15:

Q: If you have inherited any of the characteristics of you mother’s parents, describe what they are and how you feel about them.
A: I wouldn’t have the slightest idea if I have any of these characteristics. I have the impression they were God-fearing people.

Q: What do you know about their values, philosophies and religious beliefs?
A: I believe they were thrifty people, hard-working – They were Lutherans.

1/1/2010 12:08:28 PM (Mom’s memoirs continue)

Q: What kind of work did your mother’s parents do?
A: My mother’s parents were farmers.

Q: What else would you like to say about them?
A: I never knew them – we were living in Canada.

Page 17:

Q: When and where were your father’s mother and father born? What was his mother’s maiden name?
A: My father’s parents were born in Norway – his father – Ostfold county, Norway – his mother – Akerchua (sp?) Ostfold county Norway – Hi mother’s maiden name – Halvorson – first name Minnie

Q: Describe the kind of persons they were?
A: They were decend Christian people. My grandfather was a Lutheran pastor of the Hauge synod. He purchased land 4 miles south of Volga SD. At that time, pastor’s salary was so limited they needed other sources of income. He hired men to do the farming while he did his pastoral duties. He served Bethanie ? church - a short distance to the west of his farm.

Q: Describe the kind of persons they were?
A: I’m not sure I’ve inherited any characteristics of my grandparents except for: “I have a desire to follow the Lord – I’m sure my grandparents prayed for their children & descendents and that is what I do too.”

1/1/2010 4:58:55 PM (memoirs cont)

Q: What do you know about their values, philosophy, and religious beliefs?
A: The book of genealogy that my brother-in-law has done – tells better than I can the philosophies & religious beliefs of my grandparents – including a biography written by my grandfather Olai O. Bergh.

Note: I was helpful at one point in my genealogy also. Visit us online for more details.

Q: What kind of work did you father’s parents do?
A: Answered page 17

Q: What else would you like to say about them?
A: None

Page 20

Q: Has you mother shared any stories she knew about her parent’s childhoods?
A: I never heard my mother speak of her parent’s childhood.

Q: When and where was you mother born? Where did she grow up? What was her maiden name?
A: My mother was born at Webster, MN. She grew up in that area. Her maiden name: Julie Emelia Branes.

1/2/2010 7:19:32 AM (continuing on)

Page 21

Q: Tell about the family in which your mother grew up. Do you know what her childhood was like? Do you remember any stories she told you about it?
A: My mother’s family – two died as infants – boy & girl – The 7 others:
Annie Holm – her children
Esther – married Pastor Hedeen
Rueben – dentist
Olga (sp?) – single
Ole Branes – wife Clara lived in Canada
Johnny Branes – wife Sophie lived in Canada
Julie (Branes) Bergh – (my mom)
Alfred Branes – wife Clara
Children:
Alfred – Doris – Gordon – Harold
Susie (Branes) Bergh married John Bergh
NOTE* I NAMED MY SON AFTER MY GREAT UNCLE JOHN BERGH
Children:
Helen Schultz
Mildred Dick

Q: Tell about the family in which your mother grew up. Do you know what her childhood was like? Do you remember any stories she told you about it?
A: My mother didn’t speak a lot of her childhood, but I have the impression it was NOT a happy childhood. Her mother died when she was 8 years old. There were 2 younger children – Alfred & Susie, I believe.

I was told that my Aunt Susie was only 9 months old (when mom died). There was a picture of her mother hanging on the living room wall. My mother would go in the living room to sit and look at her mother’s picture. Step mother would come in and scold her for gazing at her mom’s picture. When she was in the 4th grade she had to quit school to work at home. When the mother died the two oldest, Annie & Elizabeth, were 14 & 16 years old. They thought they could handle things and were opposed to their father’s re-marrying. He married Annie Lien, a spinster lady. I have the impression that to the outside world, she was a very pious lady – but not so kind to children!

My mother left home when she was 16 years old to work for a rich family in St. Paul MN. Their family hired servants. My mother was the dining room girl – her duties were to set a beautiful table, take care of the linens, etc. – she always did like to set a nice table – especially when we had company!

1/2/2010 6:15:08 PM (mom’s memoirs continues)

Page 23

Q: What memories do you have of your mother during your childhood?
A: My mother was a small-blond blue-eyed woman. I think my sister Thea is more like her than any of her seven daughters. Her two sisters and one brother had brown eyes. I used to wish that I could have had brown eyes instead of blue.

She was a rather quiet woman but still a person of definite opinions. I remember when there were only 3 daughters – she said she thought Ruth was the prettiest. I think I was a bit jealous.

One time I remember her reading the paper, she came across an article about someone with the name of Johnson, Olson, or Peterson who was arrested for some infraction of the law. She felt so badly, because she assumed they might have been Norwegian! I got the impression that in her opinion, any other race was inferior to Norwegian.

I remember her concern when sister Ruth had a severe case of whooping cough as a baby. I had the impression that my mom feared this baby was not going to make it.

When I came home from school, I suppose about first grade, I grabbed Thea and I said, “Thea, let’s dance. “ I guess I had just learned of this – never known about any dancing before. My mom had a shocked look and said in a stern voice, “Cecelia, this is sin.”

Page 24:

Q: Describe your mother’s work, both in and out of the house.
A: My mom was never employed outside of the farm. Any outdoor work she did was taking care of her chickens & gardening in the summer time. She liked to have flowers in the garden. The bouquet I had for my wedding were gladiolas from the garden.

Q: What other interests did she have? What were her hobbies and what did she do for fun?
A: I suppose her best qualities were her devotion to her family.

Page 26:

Q: Describe you mother’s trais with which you are least compatible.
A: I don’t think my mother would admit to any wrong doing – but my father did.

Q: Did she experience much sadness or tragedy while you were little? How did she deal with it?
A: My mother must have experienced sadness when she lost her twin baby. I don’t remember any thing about how she handled it.

Page 27:

Q: What is the most painful memory you have of her?
A: I can’t seem to recall a special memory – my most painful memory: I forgot to soak the yeast the evening before bread baking day. She was very angry.

Page 28:

Q: Tell us about your mother’s spiritual or religious beliefs.
A: I remember she asked me to pray with her for a young neighbor boy, who was not expected to live.

Q: If she is deceased, how and when did she die? Where is she buried?
A: My mother passed away Dec 1957 – she was 67 years old. She had a stroke when she was 62 years old. She was handicapped after her stroke. She lived with me for 6 months, after that she lived with sister Audrey & passed away at her home. She is buried at Sinai SD. Her funeral was right before Christmas – 1959.

1/3/2010 5:18:31 AM (mom’s memoirs continue)

Page 30:

Q: Has your father shared any stories he knew about his parents’ childhoods?
A: I don’t remember my father speaking about his parents childhood. My grandfather made some reference to that in his biography – which is contained in the book Jay S. did for us. I remember the story of his dunking a chicken in a tank of water. He thought a chicken should swim like a fish. My father was born Dec 4, 1888, 4 miles south of Volga. This is where he grew up. His father was a Lutheran pastor but bought land to supplement a meager pastor’s salary.

Page 31:

Q: Tell about the family in which your father grew up. Do you know what his childhood was like? Do you remember any stories he told you about it?
A: It seems I knew my father’s family a little better than my mother’s.

My grandparent’s Bergh had twelve children. It saddens me to think that before my grandmother died she had lost six of them – two as infants – they were Cecelia & Oscar. That must have been so sad. Then she lost four as adults – they were Cecelia (a young mother) , Ella in the flu epidemic in 1918 – Martin killed in an air plane crash and her youngest daughter Margaret as she made her home with her grandmother. She continued to live with daughter Edith Negstad after that.

I remember the kindness of uncle John & aunt Susie. They took in the family of Oscar & Julie in Nov 1926 – at that time were six children. We left the prairies of Alberta Canada. My grandfather & my dad’s brothers John & Alfred had encouraged my parents to leave Canada & start life in SD. I think we were about penniless! We stayed with them until March. Then they had found a farm we could rent. Dad’s trouble with planting corn – rows crooked! In Alberta he had only planted wheat. I also remember days of sadness & loneliness for the prairies of Alberta. He loved Canada after leaving there for 16 years.

My sister Dorothy was a year old when we came to SD. She became a favorite of uncle Alfred – he was still living together with John & Susie at that time. He later married Ragna Dahl. I was often in their home – often as a hired girl.

I can’t really remember aunt Ella but I think she was in Canada when either Thea or Ruth was born. Then aunt Huldah came to Canada to help when the twins Marge & Marie were born.

I recall one summer we had company from the states – we were excited. My mother’s sister Annie & her son Rueben 17 years old & Dad’s two sisters Agnes & Edith came. Rueben was the driver of a model T-Ford! When they left – I cried & cried some more!

Dad’s sister Edith married Albert Negstad. I worked in there home when Richard was born. They also belonged to Sinai Lutheran church.

Dad’s sister Agnes married Harold Hammer. It was always fun coming to their home. I attended the wedding of Agnes & Edith in St. Paul, MN. Huldah married Ted Ramsey in the Negstad home & so did Margaret to Lars Larson.

HERE ENDS MY MOTHERS MEMOIRS…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog