Mom's Journal (Jan-Aug 2005)

MY MOTHER’S JOURNAL:

My mother also wrote in her journal. I will attempt to transcribe her shaky handwritings.

THE START OF A JOURNAL 2005:

Jan 25

A week ago temperatures were 20 below zero – we’ve had very icy conditions – now there is thawing – I’m very achy!

Finished the 3rd large quilt today.

Audrey cleaned today.

NOTE: Audrey (Skovlund) Ulvestad is my 1st cousin. She would help mom with cleaning.

Jan 26

David came over & brought me a check for $2550 from crop insurance – so nice!

NOTE: David Holter is my 1st cousin and farms our land.

Dot & Ray came back yesterday after a 3 weeks stay on (the) east coast.
Her sister Mary passed away

NOTE: Dot & Ray Oines used to be our farm neighbors. I attended 12 years of school with their oldest daughter – Pat (Moe) Oines.

Been cutting blocks – 6 in.

Jan 27th

Writing to Twila – Adelpha was here & did my hair. A very strong cold wind – 20 degrees – Myron & Sal may come tomorrow – Delph is shopping for me

NOTE: Twila (Reppe) Schmidt is my niece – Adelpha Delph (Holter) Reppe is my older sister.

Feb 1st 2005

Myron & Sally have been here for the weekend – I skipped the 60th yesterday – too much food in the fridge & terribly icy outside. It’s thawing again today. Phyllis R. brought me a bunch of 6 in. blocks. My hearing aid keeps squealing!

NOTE: I think Phyllis R. is a Ribstein? Mom would go up the hill for daily lunch at the “Ridge.”

Sun. Jan 30 – 05

David Iverson family came over in the afternoon – so nice!!

NOTE: David is my 1st cousin on mom’s side.

Feb 11th – Fri.

My circle met at church this morning – it’s a nice sunny day – trouble with my hearing aid.

NOTE: Grace Lutheran church is right next to mom’s home.

Feb 9th

A new bible study started – “Purpose driven life” – I didn’t feel good enough to go to first lesson.

NOTE: I have Rick Warren’s book and write in it.

Sunday – Feb. 13

Adult class so great – in the afternoon I listened to the tape of the class I missed.

Fri Feb 17-05

Kenneth Loomis funeral – The Oines’ gave me a ride – I’m so shaky – I can’t hardly walk!

NOTE: My mother’s handwriting is also shaky. I wrote about Keith Loomis in another blog. Kenneth was Keith’s father.

Feb 16th

Ronny took me to Brookings – saw a hearing aid guy - think I need wax cleaned (out) in my right ear.

NOTE: Ronald Eugene Holter is my older brother.

Feb 28th

I still haven’t done anything about ear cleaning – can’t find records of when last (one was) done – Dale’s have another grandson – born Feb 22 on Washington’s birthday – Duke Kylan

NOTE: Dale Norris Holter is my older brother. I’m wondering if Duke’s middle name should be Kylin, name after his uncle. Possibly a typo.

March 1 – 05

Ann Thompson – not well

NOTE: Ann has been mom’s friend for many years.

April 1st

I guess I’ve just given up on writing. I’m not feeling good. Walking is so painful. I’m so tired. I think a lot about looking into assisted living place, but I am having assisted living here – Audrey U. cleans & I eat at the Ridge each noon. I have such a good comfortable home – across the street from the church & close to Delp or Ronny – besides there is a great cost to rest homes.

Now my friend Ann has been admitted to Greenleaf.

Wes & Janet were (here) for a few days in March – so nice. They just moved into their new home, but the kitchen wasn’t finished yet.

I got my income tax worked out. Delph delivered it. Today I’ve been going through a pile of stuff on my desk.

Yesterday I mailed the cousins R.R. & also the sisters.

I just noticed the tulips are coming thro!. I had Easter Sunday at Delph’s, Betty’s family here.

NOTE: Let me fill in the blanks. Wesley Wes Holter is my oldest brother. They currently live off a lake in Ashby MN. Mom is starting to wish to live in assisted living, per her journal. She currently is living at Greenleaf in Brookings SD.

June 3rd – 2005

Since I last wrote, Leland’s sister Betty passed away of cancer – so sad. She was 65 years (old) My friend Fay? Hassler also passed away. She was 74. There have been many weddings, Natash Eighmy, Ulvestad, Jennifer Bortnem.

This morning Merle Ulvestad died. I felt badly for Audrey & family.

Pastor Brants wife, Jeanie, from S.F. died of cancer.

Today Adelpha brought her granddaughter Carlie over. She is so sweet. I enjoyed that.

Dale & Myron have been home. Myron was dropped off (here) while Dale went further to join fishing pals. While they were here – they washed my windows inside & out.

SO WONDERFUL!!

NOTE: Dale & I have been trying to do an annual fishing and golfing outing. This was one of them. I had forgotten this event. Merle U. is Audrey’s husband. They also lost a son from brain cancer. The name escapes me at the moment. - David or Doug I believe.
Betty (Reppe) ? is my brother-in-law , Leland’s older? Sister. I think she was Dale’s high school classmate. The weddings, funerals are all from the Bruce SD area. Many are relatives.

July 6th

I got a different car about a month ago. It gave up while Myron was driving it. It cost $2,000 – Chevy Lumina ’97 NEW!

NOTE: Yes indeed, I remember the event very well. I was going to play golf in Brookings SD with Dale. We got as far as two miles or so north of Brookings. The motor blew. I had my cell phone. Kent Holter came to my rescue. The car is currently parked at Delpha’s – I think.

July 19th –

I have just had a trip to Bottineau ND to the Dravland’s 50th anniversary. We six sisters were together. We had such a wonderful time. There was a beautiful reception. Delph took me part ways. We met at Ortonville MN? Wes & Janet picked me up there. So I spent Weds & Thurs. at their beautiful new home. This was July 13 & 14th – 2005.

When I got back, the Reppe’s had come to meet me in their car! My car gave Delp trouble in getting back home. It got left in Watertown SD at the repair shop – at a cost of some $700. I felt so badly & sorry for Delph! – “all that glitters isn’t gold.”

NOTE: Somewhere I’ve seen a photo of the six sisters. I’ll try to find the photo.

Aug 9th

Julie & John have been here for about 2 weeks. Left Sat. AM about 11 o-clock.

Aug 6th

Expect to spend a little time in S.F. while they were here. Adelpha & I went along to visit Wes & Janet – Janet went and got her mother (she is at assisted living at Barett MN)
That was nice, but my hearing is so bad!

HERE ENDS MY MOTHER’S JOURNAL.

Final Thoughts:

1/6/2010 7:33:35 AM

Mom has since moved into assisted living at Greenleaf Brookings SD. I visit with her on the phone almost weekly. Mom is very happy living there. We are happy for her also.
I have interviewed mom and made a video blog too.

Visit us online at www.myownfaith2.com


myron@myownfaith2.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog